Can I delay Part B without paying higher premiums?

 There are times when you are still being covered by another insurance plan and can enroll in Medicare and the like that you will want to delay a part of Medicare from starting.  You don’t want to be paying two separate premiums, which is exactly what you would be doing if you didn’t delay the coverage.  The question is, when you delay Part B coverage can you do so without paying higher premiums?

 There are two situations in which you could delay enrolling in Part B of Medicare without paying higher premiums when you were first eligible.  For the following to occur you must have been on you or your spouse’s plan and had group coverage through one of the entities.  Here are the two ways in which you could enroll without the penalty.

 Anytime you are still covered by the employer or union group health plan through your or your spouse’s current or active employment, or you are in the following situation.

During the 8 months following the month the employer or union group health plan coverage ends, or when the employment ends (whichever is first).  The “whichever is first” part shows the concern by Medicare that you and your family are being taken car of first.

3 Responses to Can I delay Part B without paying higher premiums?

  • Raul Garza, Jr. says:

    I am still under my employers health insurance HMO plan. I might enroll in a Humana HMO medicare plan in January, 2011. Can I enroll in Parts B and D of Medicare in January. I will be retiring at the end of the 2010-2011 school year. However, our insurance coverage renews on Jan. 1, 2011.

  • I was 66 in March 2010, I started drawing SS. About 5 months ago, I had surgery for a benign tumor near the base of my brain, and haven’t worked since. I’m still covered on my work insurance but am uncertain how long I’ll be allowed to do this. Do I have to wait until my birth month to start Med “B”? What does Med “B” cove? Prescriptions,?

  • Pat says:

    my dad passed away while he was still employed and covered by a group plan. now my mother is coming up on the 8 month deadline to enroll in part b w/out the penalty. unfortunately the ss office requires her to prove that she was covered by a group plan for the last 7 years. the company he worked for is saying that it is up to the 3 different insurance companies to provide the proof and 2 of the insurance companies are saying that it is the employers responsibility. Does anyone know who’s responsibility this is??

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Search Now!

Free Medicare Guide!