Indiana Medicaid: An Overview of Indiana Medicaid Eligibility

Indiana Medicaid is primarily focused on bettering access to health services among four at-risk groups for substandard care. The fees for the Medicaid services are calculated based on family income, and some people may be eligible for no fee service. The four groups targeted are: The blind and the disabled, pregnant mothers and families, the aged and the developmentally delayed.

The state of Indiana’s mandate for Medicaid care, maintains that all people who show financial need, get the health care assistance that they need; and that the Medicaid program use the public monies it’s allotted in a transparent and effective way. The state also strives to make certain that all care givers and health officials working in concert with Medicaid users get paid promptly and accurately.

The aged are defined as people 65 and older. All people nationwide are eligible to receive Medicare during the month of their 65th birthday, but Medicaid is only offered to those seniors who demonstrate a financial need. The financial need burden is further reduced for seniors who’s spouse is currently residing in a long term care facility.

Families are a key priority for Indiana health officials, and as such they have recently unveiled their Hoover Health plan. This plan is hoped to improve the level of comprehensive care offered to families in need. The plan contains all standard Medicaid services, but has enhanced services that focus on preventative health and health education. The income levels for eligibility vary based on the size of your family.

When calculating whether or not you meet the requirements for eligibility, remember to make use of the available deductions. For example, a mother who works, can deduct 90$ from her monthly salary, and if she is paying for daycare as well, can deduct an additional $200 per child. These deductions can make the difference of access, and should not be overlooked.
Families that show extreme financial need are offered the Hoover Health Plan free of charge, and depending on your income level, monthly fees will rise from there.

The blind and disabled are also eligible for free Medicaid benefits, if they can prove that their disability will significantly hamper their abilities to earn a living over the course of the coming twelve month period.  The situation is the same for people with developmental delays. A registered physician will provide people with the documentation that they need after submitting to a medical evaluation.

The Indiana Medicaid health program is striving to ensure that all the citizens of Indiana have access to great health care and health education. Please call 1-800-889-9949, to speak with a health official and find out if you may be eligible.

127 Responses to Indiana Medicaid: An Overview of Indiana Medicaid Eligibility

• Suresh says:

My post has been deleted. Is there a need to furnish SSNs in the medicaid application of all family members of the applicant if they are not availing of any programs? Only the applicant is availing of “Health Coverage”. A reply will be greatly appreciated

Thanks,

• Elizabeth says:

I am trying to find the income limits for a friend of mine. she is going to make about $400 per month and gets some child support for her 3 year old. She was told that the program was going to be underfunded because of the economy. Can you address this issue and give me income limits.

• Kelsey says:

I am 17 years old – the birth will be paid by my dad’s health ins – the baby will NOT be covered. Am I eligibile for health care for my baby. The baby will not qualify to be on my dad’s insurance.

• paulette martin says:

i will be 62 in august 2009. I have applied for social secuirty for myself. My husband is i n a nursing home with terminal cancer receiving medicaid. i have dental problemss and need major repair(2900.00) what resources are available for me?

• Breeanna says:

I am currently 5 month oregnant and am expecting in Nov. I have medicaid in Florida which i will cancel before i move on Sep. 1st 2009. I will need medicaid as soon as possible when i get to Indiana. Is there anyway i can speed up the process or even get a head start.

• carl says:

My mother just was diagnose with pancreatic cancer medicare will cover 80% OF HER expense, now, the clinic said after medicare cover their portion a $6,000.00 this is $512.00 /treatment, the bill will be due 12 weeks after treatment. Our Famliy have been told to apply for medicaid.

Income with mom and dad approx: 2,100-2,300 monthly my dad is a diabetic and he also need insulan shot which cost.

Is thier any possiblilty that my mom would qualify for medicaid because of the cost of her medication in case her income exceeds the guidelines for medicaid.

We still have not including her chemo bills, which are approx. 200.00/month after her discount 80% discount from medicare.

Where is the compassion and care for the elderly after they have paid through the nose all their life.

CAN ANYONE OFFER SOME SUGGESTION PLEASE?
    Thankyou!

• sophie young says:

I have a 13 year old who was dignosed with thyroid disease. My husband makes pretty good income however he has a $250.00.00 in student loan which he pays every month. After tax, after paying all the necessary bills like water , car insurance, etc. we have about $2,000.00 dollar left to eat and pay miscellaneous bills for family of six. We have a health insurance through his work but with $5,000 deductible. To buy other insurance, for our family it will cost $1,800 a month. Is there any way I can enroll my children in Hoosier Health Wise insurance? Thank you for your response.

• Brad says:

why does it take 4 months for my husband to get medicaid when he is termonialy ill and with hospice this has been a hardship for him and myself cause i am taking care of him my self.we applied back in march 2007 and we still dont know nothing

It took me 10 months to get Medicaid albeit I had to secure the help from Indiana Legal Services to obtain it and still a day late and a few dollars short. Because it took too long I now suffer permenant nerve damage because of the wait. So yes, the medical and legal communities let me down as my house was foreclosed upon and I now live in a 2 room apartment (far cry from 1500 sq. ft. 3 bedroom home). Yeah, I love this country too.

• Kristen says:

I was trying to find some way to get some form of insurance. I am a 19 year old working college student. I dont make that much and I have been having financial issues for a while now because I live with my boyfriend who just got a new job after being unemployed for 6 months. I was on my mothers insurance up until about a month ago because her insurance rates went up so high she can only afford to keep herself insured. I really dont think I can afford to pay for anything else and someone I worked with suggested medicaid

• Grandma55 says:

I am all for helping those that actually need it. I have a niece that is perfectly capable of working but don’t, gets a support check, and unemployment benefits. Her children live with her mother. My husband and I live on 1 check a month and I have no health insurance because we just plain cannot afford it for me. I am 58 and my husband is 64. I would like someone to give me free health insurance too!! What about us older folks getting help istead of the “lazy” young ones?

• D Blaylock says:

My brother is disabled an on Medicaid in Ohio. He currently lives in a long term care nursing home and is extremely unhappy where he is. He desires to move to Indiana. How do I go about finding out how to apply for Medicaid for him in Indiana so that I can see if I can assist him to transfer to another nursing home?

• L says:

I have been trying to get medicaid for my kids for over 4 months now. Today they told me that they need information about my college costs and financial aid…..they had no requirement for that at the beginning, and now four months later, all of a sudden they need it? And why should this count as income, it all goes to the school, not me. I am trying to get an education so I can have a higher income and be able to not need to cover them on medicaid…..pointless, senseless bureaucratic system.

• sadye says:

My husband’s ex-wife is going on her third child, with who knows who. She lives with a rich man who is old enough to be her father and is on medicaid. She gets 210.00 dollars a month for child support from my husband for their little 5 year old. I recently got laid off and now we only have his income of 1200.00 a month. we just had a baby boy and have hospital bills. How is it that she gets medicaid for herself and and her children when she lives with someone who makes over 100,000.00 a year? People told us that we should apply at least for my son to have medicaid. Right now we can’t even afford insurance. Any help would be appreciated

• Pam Jankowski says:

My 81 yr old mother has alzheimers disease (late stages) I may have to bring her to live with me in Indiana because of no other family to help care for her. What are the chances of getting her onn Indiana Medicaid and having her placed here where I live?

• Tim G says:

In 2003 I was diagnosed with a very large(9.6cm)non-malignant brain tumor. My family had to come to phoenix and bring me here. I was able to get In.Medicaid then. Since then the medication reduced the size and I was able to work for almost 2 yrs until I started having seizures. I had to move w/family in Ohio and qualified for Ohio medicaid. Since then I was forced to move to Indiana but did not qualify. My application had documented proof of my tumor but my denial letter said I did not have a tumor. So now I have family members involved. Thank God for family but I am still waiting for approval. Thanks Obama!

• marvin says:

my girl applied for medicaid.they told her that she is cover for the last 3 month prior to her application.but she still needs to go to the doctor.how can she get coverage.she doesnt work.shes a mom.is there another application that she needs to fill?help

• heather says:

Hi! my husband is an Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom Vet and is attending school full time. He does recieve the GI Bill monthly. Will this be counted toward our monthly income? I have heard through his commander that it is not allowed to count as income. Also, since unemployment benefts are “unearned income” does it count toward our monthly income? and if so, when it ends in a month or so are we able to reapply if denied b/c of the unemployment??

• Chris says:

My teenage daughter is pregnant and my employer excludeds dependent daughters for maternity care. Thus I now have no health care coverage for her. I understand that it costs between $10,000 to $15,000 for the full pregnancy. I just don’t have that kind of money even though my wife and I have a very good income. Will the state help cover any of the costs of her pregnancy?

• Alex says:

my boyfriend makes about 1,000 dollars a month or a little more than 13,000 anually. He’s not seen a doctor for a regular check-up in years and he’s suffering from a dermatological disorder which we have yet been able to identify. we we’re hoping to get him into a med-check clinic for a check-up and to have his condition diagnosed and hopefully treated but we can’t afford it. would medicaid help us cover the expenses of the doctor’s visit? would it help us cover the expenses of any prescribed medication? we both work and go to school full time so accumulating debt and working it off later is not a viable option for either of us.

• mark quigley says:

i lost my left leg below the knee aug 2006. nov 30 i got my prosthetic and went back to work (40hrs) at a large home improvement store. i’v worked since them up till last month. the artritis in the residual limb makes my leg swell and i cant fit my prosthetic on. j’ve been off work since nov. 8. if ihad a lightwejght wheelchair with removeable wheels i could continue to work during the time i can’t get my leg on. but i need the chair so i can get in the car myself and get to work. they let me work in a chair there so all i have to do is make it. why ois there no help for someome who WANTS to keep working but can’t, or if there is where do i find it. we had to file banktuptcy in 2006 when i lost my leg and was not working. i want to stay in the US taxpaying workforce and earn my keep. i just need help. i also have 2 regular HEAVY folding chairs i will donate to someone when i find my DREAM wheelchair

thanks

mark quigley

• acc says:

I can’t find a doctor. None will take me, saying they don’t want anyone with bipolar II, even though I am not on any medications under the advice of a psychologist, whom I see monthly. All of a sudden, the doctors want to know your medical history before taking you as a patient.
    How can they see your medical records BEFORE you are a patient?

• Delayne says:

I’m a 39 year old single female living in Indiana. I’ve been unemployed over a year, despite frantically trying to find a job – so I’m also uninsured. Without healthcare, I’m in a world of hurt – I cannot afford regular doctor visits and I need regular medications. There’s supposed to be some sort of Healthy Indiana Plan – but I think it’s a crock – I’ve been applying for it since March, when I heard about it – providing all the info – but can’t even get so much as a letter of acknowledgement. I need 2 surgical procedures PLUS an echocardiogram to find out what’s wrong with my heart….and a potential for 2 other surgeries. And of course, I can’t get any of this done. I can’t even SEE a doctor unless I pay up front – and trust me, I’ve sold everything out of my household that I could possibly think to sell, just to raise money. I’m not disabled, not pregnant and therefore not eligible for Medicaid. Free and sliding scale clinics in a two hour radius are NOT accepting any new patients……doctors will not accept any new non-insured patients…..is there hope anywhere?

• Debra says:

My son is 21 years old. He has Wilson’s disease. He is on my husband insurance until 21. which will be 21 in Feb 9th 2010.
    If he does not get treated for Wilson’s his major organs will shut down and he will die. His liver and brain has already been affected by this disease. We live in Florida and i can not really find anything on medicaid on the. I am so scared he will not get the help he needs and end up dying. It is crazy how so many ppl get medicaid and having one child after another and they are covered. My son could not help he has this disease but these girls that are having one baby after another can help themselves and stop wasting the gov money with their carelessness when you have terminally ill people out htere that if they can not get the help thay need, SAD SAD SAD !!

• Amanda says:

I am an 19 year old full time student. I use t have medicaid up until a few months ago. Then my mom told me that they cut me off..I am in desperate need to the dentist and doctor and i don’t understand why I was cut off? I need to talk to someone asap!

thanks

• Connie says:

My son has Muscular Dystrophy and has been trying to get Medicaid for the last 9 months. I’ve jumped through so many hoops I can’t count them. I’ve even sent emails to the governor, senators and reps. How many doctors need to say he’s disabled before they get it. He doesn’t work. He can’t even take a bath or feed himself. I’m so frustrated with the whole process I could scream! He really needs to be insured. His disease is a degenerative neuromuscular disease. There is no cure. So why make his life more difficult….

• Felice says:

How do you calculate to get to spend down amount and what is used to arrive at the amount?

• Felice says:

What is a spend down and how is it calculated?

• Cassandra says:

My husband and I have an 18 month old daughter, and have just found out that I am 5 weeks pregnant. However, though we have been receiving Medicaid here in Pennsylvania, he has been laid off from his work. If we stay in Pennsylvania my husband will have no job and we will be evicted from our apartment. So we must move to Indiana to live with my sister until we find jobs, as we have no prospects here. My question is, how long would it take for me as a pregnant mother to be eligible for Medicaid? Could I preapply before we move, knowing where we will be living? Thanks.

• Darien Richard says:

My father who I help to take care of by keeping him in his home is in need of financial support for the unskilled person who stays with him during the day while I work. My father is diabetic he has chf, myodysplesia, on start of demtia and is incontinent. While he has insurance through his former employer and medicare our greatest need is funding for the is home care giver (the lady who makes it possible for him to stay in his home and not a nursing home). While approval of Hoosier Health Wise is definately needed for his incontinence supplies we need money to pay this lady. His income is not really enough to keep him in his home and keep his home up and all the needs he has. I try to help but I only have a small amout of discretanary income to give. How can medicade help him. Can we get dollars to pay his home sitter?

• Debra says:

My sister lives in Indiana and has no health insurance. She tried to commit suicide last week and now owes large amounts of money to 2 hospitals. Is there ANYONE who can help her? She has never been married and has no savings, and I think the fact that she owes this money will push her to the edge again. (she is 46)
    Please help

• joe pinter says:

My daughter is 23 years old, a recent college graduate, no job, no income. Getting too costly for us to buy her health insurance. Is she eligible for medicade on her own?

• Tinkerbell says:

This is a link to apply for Medicaid. They will be able to answer your questions. The author of this page cannot determine Medicaid eligibility, DCFS in this state doesn’t even know the eligibility rules for Medicaid and they are supposed to be the administrators of the program. You have to be calm but assertive when dealing with them. They cannot even tell me how the state of Indiana defines a person on disability if they do not receive SSI/SSD. It is absurd. It will tell you where to go to apply for Medicaid based on the county you live in.

Also, do a search on HIP if you are a single adult. There is currently a waiting list but it would be wise to go ahead and fill out the application and mail it in so you can get on the list if you are approved.

Pregnant women may be eligible for healthcare under certain circumstances. Copy and paste the following link:
    http://www.in.gov/fssa/2408.htm. Review the information and see if you should apply,

• Floyd says:

My aunt, for whom I am caretaker is a medicaid recipient. She recently inherited an asset worth nearly $20K. Does this affect her Medicaid eligibility?

• kayla says:

I just recently moved from ky and was on passport health plan… i dont know where to go get the medical help i need for me and my two kids… im a single mom. please help!

• Concerned says:

How do you report medicaid fraud? This person is claiming dependants that are not her dependants and she is not reporting all of her assets.

• kristi says:

my father just qualified for medicaid with a spend down of 927.00 what does this mean he also has medicare how does this work my mother just passed away 1 month ago and i dont understand please help me thanks

• megan says:

I was wondering how long does it take for you to get approved for medicaid and get a card when you are pregnant? And can i go to the doctor and that be covered while i am waiting for a card or to be approved.

• Mark says:

I work for a non profit organization that houses seniors and people with developmental disabilities. What programs are available for low income seniors in need of living in an assisted living environment? Does Medicaid pay for their care, housing, etc…

• Alex says:

I am 16 weeks pregnant. I applied for Medicaid at 12 weeks. I have yet to hear anything. I call them 2-3 times per week but all they say is they will get to it. I am now having a miscarriage because I was unable to get to the doctor on time. Can someone who knows how to do their job help me?

• Alex says:

And I just had a baby 8 months ago-approved the day I applied. Our income has gone down since then so I know I am eligible.

• Paige says:

Hi.
    I’m 18 and 6 months pregnant, I haven’t been able to see a doctor yet, and My appointment with them isn’t for another month and half. Is there anything that I can do to speed it up. I mean I had medicaid and when I turned 18 they just cut it off and when I called they said they had no idea why it got cut off so I had to reapply and everything, and my interview isn’t even at the place it’s over the phone.

Thanks

• Angelina Gomez says:

I am a 21 year old mother, my son has medicaid, and I am unemployed and living with my mother. I there a chance that I qualify for medicad as well?

• TraySea says:

So my boyfriend of three years has severe emotional problems, and for him to get the help he needs the only way for him to qualify for medicaid is if i get knocked up? there is just something wrong with that. we already have enough issues, adding a child to the mix is not going to help. the people who are being responsible should be given a break. we are not having children and because of that he cannot get the help he needs without going into massive debt. i pay my taxes just like everyone else. and i should be able to use some of the benefits i have been paying for since i was 14.

• Ellyn says:

I’ve recently been granted guardianship for my disabled daughter, Laura. I understand that I am supposed to “send this document” to medicaid, Who exactly do I have to send it to?

Thanks.

• Jane Mirka says:

We want to move our Dad to a nursing home in Indiana. What are the residency requirements to qualify for Medicaid?

• Robert Phelps says:

My step-father is expecting to need to be placed into a nursing home due to deteriorating health. His healthy wife has always maintained separate financial accounts and always retained the home in her name. Will the healthy spouse in this case be subject to the spousal eligibility requirements in order for her husband to be eligible for medicaid? If so, will the house in the spouse’s name is subject to medicaid recovery upon the spouse’s death?

• Kate H says:

• Kate H says:

I am trying to get an answer….could someone help me? My father has been getting his toes amputated and is getting ready to lose his last toe on one foot. Someone told him that he will not be eligible for disability since he will still have one foot to use. Is this true? He works at a job that he is on his feet all day. He does not know how to work at a desk job.

• ashley ritchie says:

where can i get a self-employment form for medicaid?

• Robert Lloyd says:

My Father-in-Law has a condition, that was caused from a surgery, that the doctors cannot seem to find and answer to, which has put him out of work and hardly able to get around. Since that surgery he is on pain medications and blood pressure medicines. Being on these Meds he cannot drive and isn’t able to stand or sit for any long period of time without having painful issues afterwards. The company he worked for has also cut him from their insurance, so now his medicine is costing us almost 400 a month since he cannot pay for them and keep the house he worked so hard to get doing shift work. Would he qualify for Medicaid?